Beef basturma at home
The appearance of the basturma is associated with the troops of Genghis Khan. Usually, a campaigner took a piece of meat with him, which he hid a horse under his saddle. For a long time traveling, the meat managed to feed on salt from horse sweat and lose all moisture under the weight of the rider. Whether this is so is not known for certain, but now this dish is very common in the territory of the countries of the former Ottoman Empire.
Today, basturma is made of lamb, pork and even chicken, but dried beef tenderloin is considered the classic, traditional option. Mandatory spice for snacks is considered to be chaman or fenugreek blue. Some cooks sometimes replace it with ground cumin, but this is not the same taste.
It is better to get acquainted with a snack where it is a national dish in order to know the true taste and not be disappointed. But if a trip to one of the countries located in the spaces of the former Ottoman Empire is not included in the immediate plans, you can cook basturma from beef at home.The process is though painstaking, but simple.
The beef dried in a special way has a relatively low calorie content for meat products - 240 kcal / 100 g. This is because fillets without fat are used to make basturma.
Since the raw materials are not subjected to any heat treatment, all the benefits of beef are preserved. The product is useful to include in the diet to meet the body's need for animal fats. Beef jerky helps to quickly build muscle mass, cope with chronic fatigue and defeat anemia. The spices included in the marinade have an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effect.
The classic recipe for basturma from beef
According to the classic recipe, basturma is prepared absolutely not difficult, although the whole process takes almost a month. But if you have patience and necessary ingredients, you can pamper yourself and the household with a delicious and, most importantly, high-quality delicacy.
For the preparation of a basturma, meat and spices will be needed, based on one kilogram of beef tenderloin. The latter are no less important than the main product.
Ingredients for Pre-Salting:
- 90 g of salt;
- 60 g sugar;
- 5 g black ground pepper.
Ingredients for thick marinade-plaster:
- 30 g crushed through garlic press;
- 25 g of chaman (or fenugreek);
- 18 g ground paprika;
- 18 grams of ground red pepper;
- 5 g black ground pepper.
- Mix salt, sugar and pepper. Gain a salty mixture thoroughly cover a piece of beef. To speed up the process of making basturma, cut the meat into thin pieces 2 cm wide.
- The meat rolled up in the pickling mix should be put into a colander placed above a bowl or pan, and the pressure should be set on top (for example, a liter jar of water). Move the structure in the refrigerator for 3-5 days so that the workpiece is well salted. At least twice a day to turn to the other side.
- On the fourth day, cook the marinade with the chaman. To do this, mix all the spices in a bowl or another container and, adding a little water, bring the mixture to a thickness of sour cream. Then remove the marinade for a day in the cold so that the spices can “make friends” and form a harmonious bouquet.
- Put salted meat in a suitable container, thoroughly smeared and coated with marinade on all sides. Marinate beef in the fridge for another three days.
- After that, dry the meat on a baking sheet, to obtain a crust of spices. To do this in a draft (it is possible on the window sill by the open window, if the temperature permits), regularly turning from one side to another.
- Suspended beef hang in a dark cool place with a temperature not higher than 7-8 degrees. In a city apartment for this purpose, the door of the refrigerator is suitable.
- As soon as a piece of meat hardens and stops to feel the softness inside, the basturma is ready.
The recipe of the Armenian basturma is interesting because the beef is pre-salted in brine (we take the spices per kilogram of beef tenderloin), and not by the dry method. The second point: for brine and for marinade-plastering, dry red wine is used, which gives the dried meat not only a special taste, but also a color.
Ingredients for brine on red dry wine:
- 1000 ml of dry red wine;
- 180 g of salt;
- 10 g of red ground pepper;
- 30 g of chaman (fenugreek);
- 30 grams of sumac (dried ground grenade);
- 30 g minced garlic.
Ingredients for marinade-plaster:
- 15 g of salt;
- 90 g of garlic, passed through a press;
- 15 g sumac;
- 10 g of chaman;
- 10 g of hot red pepper powder;
- 100 ml of red wine to obtain the necessary consistency.
Ingredients for a thick coat:
- 5 g of salt;
- 5 g of chaman;
- 5 g red pepper;
- 5 g of flour.
- Dissolve salt in red wine, add garlic and other spices, mix well and put meat into it. Top set the oppression. So that beef is well saturated with salt, make a few punctures with a knife. Meat cut in brine to send for seven days in the refrigerator to salted.
- To put the spices on them, first mix all the dry ingredients, and then, pouring the wine in small portions, bring thick sour cream to the consistency.
- It is painstaking to smear a piece of a thick marinade on all sides and put it in the refrigerator for a day so that the meat absorbs all the aromas of spices.
- After a day, clean the plastering in a separate bowl. Pass a piece of rope through the cutting piece so that it can be hung. Peeled shampoo mixed with flour, pepper, salt and chaman. The resulting thick coating with a brush cover the workpiece from all sides. It should make a layer of 2-3 mm.
- Post the meat for 10-14 days to the door of the refrigerator for drying.During this time, the beef will become dense and slightly firm, but not like a stone.
Use for cooking only fresh meat purchased from a trusted seller, to be sure that it was not chosen by parasites. The ideal time for making a meat snack will be spring or early summer, when the weather is cool and cool, and you can safely hang out the meat for a couple of weeks on the balcony.
Before you start cooking meat for basturma, you definitely need to get rid of excess fat and films. After that, it should be cut into wide long strips, the thickness of which does not exceed three centimeters.
If salting does not occur in a dry way, but in saline, then it should be very concentrated. Check whether the concentration of salt, with the help of chicken eggs. If it floats and does not sink, the pickle is cooked properly.
Maturation of meat under yoke lasts 3-7 days. At this stage, the weight of the load placed on top is of great importance. On a piece of beef weighing one kilogram take a yoke weighing 10-12 kg.
Shelf life home basturma in the refrigerator is six months.Serve jerky as an independent snack, simply cut into thin slices or cooked sandwiches.
An interesting fact about basturma, which scientists have not yet been able to find. A small portion of fragrant basturma can make a person's sweat smell of spices, in which she pickled. Why this happens is unknown, but the fragrance is so persistent that no deodorant can handle it. True, in 10-15 hours everything goes by itself.
Do not be afraid, you can safely eat delicious beef, dried in spices, cooked at home. Preparing it is not so difficult.
How does pregnancy develop
How to take de nol (de nol)
How many chinchillas live
How sexy are you