How to Add Sea Salt to Your Diet
Sea salt is a wonderful addition to your diet. Unlike conventional table salt, sea salt contains a wide range of trace minerals that your body needs for a variety of purposes.In contrast, conventional table salt lacks trace minerals and is heavily processed. By replacing conventional table salt with sea salt, you can improve the nutritional and flavor profile of your diet. A wide range of sea salts are available such as Himalayan sea salt, crystalline sea salt, flaked sea salt, fleur de sel, and Hawaiian sea salt. When using sea salt, remember that it should still be used in moderation and as part of a well-rounded, healthy diet.
Shopping for Sea Salt
Learn about the types of sea salt.There are many types of sea salt and related sea salt products on the market. Teach yourself about famous sea salts such as fleur de sel and flaked sea salt, as well as the more unusual varieties such as Hawaiian sea salt.
- Buy sea salt recipe books.Sea Salt: Recipes from the West Coast Galleyis a recipe book that brings together seasonal and local recipes from Canada’s Vancouver Island.Sea Salt Sweetis a book that explores dessert recipes that use sea salt.These books can be purchased at local book stores or online.
- The bookHimalayan Salt & Dead Sea Saltoffers tips for using artisan and sea salts for health and beauty.
Buy crystalline sea salt.Crystalline sea salt is gathered from coastal areas in Portugal, the United States, and the Pacific Rim. It is commonly used to add flavor to already cooked meals. You can pick it up at gourmet cooking stores or online and should expect to pay approximately to per pound.
Pick up some flaked sea salt.If you are cooking vegetables or shellfish, you can use a pinch of flaked sea salt to enhance the taste of your meal. One of the most common brands is Maldon, which derives from England’s Essex Coast. You can pick it up at speciality cooking stores or online for per 8.5 ounces.
Pick up some fleur de sel.You can add a pinch to your freshly cooked meal. It is a specialty, hand-harvested sea salt from the coastal salt ponds of France. Williams-Sonoma lists hand harvested fleur de sel at .96 for 8.8 oz.
Find some Hawaiian sea salt.If you are cooking seafood, pork, or ceviche, you may enjoy some of this coarse ground sea salt. You can find either red or black varieties, with the red sea salt getting its color from the mineral Alaea and the black salt getting its color from charcoal. These salts are full of trace minerals. You can find Hawaiian sea salt at specialty cooking stores or online. Amazon lists 16 oz of the red variety at .35.
Get some Himalayan sea salt.Himalayan salt derives from ancient sea salt deposits and is usually from Pakistan. It can be coloured white or pink. These salts can be used for cooking fish, meats, vegetables, and other common dishes. You can also add some of them to the rim of your glass for a mineral rich cocktail. Himalayan sea salt can be purchased at health food stores, gourmet cooking stores or online. You can find two pounds of Himalayan sea salt on Amazon for .99.
Cooking with Sea Salt
Use sea salt as a replacement for regular table salt in your favorite recipes.If you regularly add table salt to your breakfasts, lunches, and dinners, simply replace the table salt with sea salt. You can purchase the sea salt in bulk and then add it to an empty salt shaker. Whenever you use salt in a recipe, grab the shaker with the sea salt.
- If you are using small amounts of salt such as a quarter teaspoon or less, you can use the same amount of sea salt as you would normally use table salt.
- If you are replacing table salt with a coarse sea salt, you can use the same amount of sea salt as you would table salt.
- If you are replacing table salt with a finely ground sea salt, you will want to consult a conversion chart.
- You can find a useful conversion chart at the Morton Salt website:
Grill tuna nuggets with Hawaiian sea salt.This recipe uses Hawaiian sea salt at the marinade and the plating stages. It serves two people and uses two tuna nuggets. However, you can adjust the recipe for more people by simply adding more tuna nuggets and making a larger marinade. Start by marinating the tuna nuggets or chopped tuna steaks in a sea salt marinade, and use the following steps to complete the recipe:
- To make the marinade, combine 1 teaspoon (5 g) of Hawaiian sea salt with 4 tablespoons (60 milliliters) of soy sauce, the juice of half a lemon and the tuna nuggets. Let the tuna nuggets marinade for at least half an hour in the fridge.
- Put the grill on medium heat.
- Grill the steaks for two minutes on each of the four sides or for eight minutes total.
- Plate the tuna nuggets and sprinkle an additional 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 g) of Hawaiian sea salt on top.
Make Napa style roasted vegetables with sea salt.For this dish, which serves eight people, you can use your favorite style of flaked sea salt. Start by preheating the oven to 400° F (200° C). Then, use the following steps to complete the recipe:
- Chop your vegetables into one and a half inch slices, including 2 cups (300 g) of butternut squash, 2 cups of (300 g) sweet potatoes, 2 cups (300 g) of red sweet potatoes, and 4 cups (600 g) of Yukon Gold potatoes. You can chop 2 cups (300 g) of red onion into 1/2 inch wedges and two granny smith apples into eight pieces.
- Toss the vegetables in a mixing bowl with a 1/2 cup (118 milliliters) olive oil, 3/4 of a teaspoon (4 g) of sea salt, a dash of thyme and 1 teaspoon (5 g) of red pepper flakes.
- Bake the vegetables for 30 minutes, then add the apples and bake for another 30. Stir the vegetables and bake for another 20 minutes.
Make sea salt caramel apples.These caramel and sea salt apples are a perfect dessert for the fall season. Start by gathering your ingredients, including medium sized apples, eight sticks for holding the apples, a 114 oz (400 g) package of caramels, 2 tablespoons of water, and coarse sea salt for sprinkling on top. To make the apples, follow these steps:
- Wash apples.
- Place some parchment paper on a sheet to store the apples. You will need this at the end of the recipe.
- Melt the caramels in the water in a medium size sauce pan on medium heat. Let the caramels melt in the water.
- Dip the apples in the caramel.
- Sprinkle sea salt on top.
- Place the caramel sea salt apples on the parchment paper and store them in the fridge for a few hours. Once they have cooled off in the fridge, they are ready to eat.
Grind some Himalayan sea salt onto your hot breakfast cereal.If you are having oatmeal or another hot breakfast cereal in the morning, try grinding some fresh sea salt onto it at the end. Grind a touch of sea salt, and then taste the cereal. If it doesn't have enough salt, grind a bit more sea salt until it is right for you.
Add sea salt to your breakfast smoothie.Add a pinch of sea salt to one of your favorite breakfast smoothies. You will have to experiment to get the right amount, since too much sea salt will overpower and too little will fail to enhance the flavors.Start by adding just a small pinch and work your way up until you get the correct flavor.
Using Sea Salt for Specific Health Conditions
Eat an appropriate amount of salt.Your body needs salt in order to regulate fluids and maintain proper muscle and nerve functioning. It is important to get adequate salt in your diet. Sea salt can be a good way of including sodium in your meals.That said, you should consume a moderate amount of salt in your diet. Follow the below recommendations:
- Adults should normally limit sodium intake to 2,300 mg per day.
- If you have high blood pressure, you should limit sodium intake to 1,500 mg per day.
- If you have heart, liver or kidney problems, you should further limit your intake of sodium. Consult your doctor or dietician to find out how much salt you should consume.
Enjoy sea salt in moderation.Sea salt is much healthier than regular table salt since it contains a variety of trace minerals that your body needs.However, you should enjoy salt in moderation, whether it is table salt or sea salt. For healthy adults, the recommended intake for sodium is less than 2,300 milligrams per day. This recommendation is the same regardless of whether the salt you are eating is sea salt or some other variety.
Use sea salt to cope with asthma.After drinking a glass of water, sprinkle some sea salt onto your tongue. Sea salt can help reduce inflammation in your respiratory system.
- You should continue to use your regular asthma medication.
- Do not use sea salt in place of any regular asthma medication.
Drink sea salt water to improve your digestion.Simply add a pinch of your favorite sea salt to a glass of warm water in the morning. This is an old remedy for a variety of conditions and can help your body stay hydrated, digest food properly, and reduce inflammation.
- Salt plays an important role in digestion, since it activates salivary glands and gets the digestive process going. It also stimulates secretions in your digestive tract.
- Iodine deficiency disorders can cause health problem including goiter, miscarriage, and intellectual disability in infants. If you eat a lot of seafood, you probably don’t need additional Iodine. But most people do need iodine fortified salt to prevent an iodine deficiency Be sure that whatever salt you use is Iodized Salt.
Video: Nutrition Advice : How to Add Sea Salt to a Diet
How to Become a Painting Contractor
6 things to know about Ralph Lauren’s traffic stopping NYFW show
Gigi Hadid x Maybelline Full Collection
How to Add a Snap to Leather
Food Fitness Across the Globe with the Ulterior Epicure
How to Turn Off Apple TV
Taylor Swift Is Getting Her Own Kim Kardashian-Style Mobile Game
Salesforce Park aerial tram in San Francisco
Kate Moss to split with Topshop
Everything You Need to Know Before Going on a Low-Carb Diet
Dating and Crohns Disease: How Not To Let A Date Go Down The Tubes
How to Make Your Life Good
NEWS: Thinking Full May Reduce Hunger