How to Increase Sex Drive in Men Naturally
Your sex drive is tied to physical, psychological, and emotional factors. If you’re looking to boost your sex drive, there are natural ways to influence all of these factors. A healthy diet can be easily supplemented with some natural aphrodisiacs, like figs and dark chocolate, as well as a variety of herbal supplements. Staying active and managing stress will help control the psychological factors that can lead to a loss of sex drive. Finally, if you’re in a relationship, communicating openly with your partner can also reduce the problem.
Taking Herbal Supplements
Start taking yohimbe to improve sexual performance.This herb (also marketed as yohimbine) is an FDA-approved supplement that has been called the "herbal Viagra." It can increase sexual performance and drive by stimulating blood flow to improve erectile function, and by boosting your stamina. Look for yohimbe at a health store.
- Follow the dosing instructions included with the supplement. Studies have shown benefits from taking a 20 mg dose when needed, but different brands may suggest alternative dose amounts.
- While taking yohimbe, avoid cheese, red wine, and liver. These foods are high in a substance called tyramine which can cause high blood pressure when combined with yohimbe.
- If you are taking antidepressant medications, talk to a doctor before taking yohimbe.
Take Safed musli for a testosterone-like effect.Safed musli is an herb traditionally used to treat sexual problems. Studies have shown that it has a tesosterone-like effect in rats, increasing their sexual performance and activity rate. You should be able to find safe musli supplements online or at many health stores.
- Studies of the effects of safed musli on rats used dosages of about 200mg per kg (2.2 lbs) of body weight. Check your supplement's instructions for exact human dosing recommendations.
- Keep in mind that safed musli's effects in humans haven't been fully researched. The supplement may or may not be as effective for humans. safed musli may interact with other medications you are taking, or impact other medical conditions, so it is important to talk to your doctor before taking it.
Use ginseng to improve blood flow.Ginseng is another herb that has traditionally been used to treat sexual problems. Studies of its effects in animals suggest that there may be some truth to these traditional recommendations. Ginseng contains antioxidants and can improve cardiovascular (heart) function. This effect can increase blood flow and erectile function, stimulating your sex drive overall.
- Ginseng is a very common supplement. You should be able to find it wherever dietary supplements are found.
- Make sure to follow the daily dosing instructions provided with your supplement. Doses will vary based on the type of ginseng, but you may need to take it several times a day.
- Ginseng impacts blood flow and heart function. This means it's important to talk to your doctor before using the supplement if you have any heart issues or take heart/blood medications.
Take a saffron supplement to potentially improve erectile function.Saffron has long been used as a natural way to treat erectile dysfunction and other sexual problems. Studies show that saffron may be effective in rats, but it is not clear that it has these effects in humans. Look for saffron wherever herbal supplements are sold. Try the daily dose (generally 30mg, divided in two) recommended by the supplement's instructions, and see if it helps improve your sexual performance or drive.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, avoiding using saffron, since consuming amounts more than what is normally used in food (5g) can cause contractions. Other side effects of saffron are unknown.
Changing Your Diet to Increase Sex Drive
Include aphrodisiacs in your meals.Increasing your libido can be as simple as heading to your pantry or grocery store. Lots of foods are said to be aphrodisiacs that boost your sex drive naturally, so try eating some of these whenever you feel like you need a libido boost. There's scientific evidence to show that foods with an actual impact include:
- Dark chocolate
Snack on some watermelon.Eat a portion of this delicious fruit if you need a little help with your sex drive. Research suggests that it can have a Viagra-like effect. This means it can relax your blood vessels to combat erectile dysfunction, and can also boost your libido.
Avoid too much sugar.Pass on dessert. Go for healthy snacks and drinks rather than sugary treats and sodas. Research shows a link between high sugar intake and low levels of testosterone, the hormone that contributes to male sex drive.
Say no to microwave popcorn and nonstick pans.These seemingly unrelated products both contain chemical compounds called perfluoroalkyl acids (PFAAs). Studies show that PFAAs are linked to a reduced sex drive and lower sperm count.
Maintain a healthy weight.A person’s weight is not itself an indicator of sex drive. However, being overweight can lead to several conditions that can impact sexual performance and drive, including:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Heart disease
Making Lifestyle Changes
Exercise moderately.Develop a regular routine of cardio and strength training. Exercise lifts your mood, libido, stamina, and self-image.
- Schedule 30-minute cardio workouts 3-4 times a week.
- Basic cardio routines can include things like running, swimming, and cycling.
- You can work in strength training by lifting dumbbells during downtime (such as while watching television), or work in 3-4 short (15 minute) sessions of weight lifting each week.
Manage your stress level.High-stress levels sap your strength, leave you feeling tired, distracted, and irritable. All of this ultimately impacts your sex drive. You can work on reducing stress by
- Doing Yoga.
- Scheduling time for hobbies or things you enjoy doing, like playing sports, listening to music, or reading.
- Exercising regularly.
- Getting 7-9 hours of sleep a night.
Treat depression.Work on naturally moderating your mood, since depression is linked to reduced sex drive. Many prescription anti-depressants can also reduce sex drive, so finding alternative ways to treat the problem is doubly effective. There are great ways to begin treating depression naturally, including:
- Working with a therapist
- Talking to your doctor about herbal supplements, acupuncture, or other alternative treatments
- Getting plenty of exercise and sleep
Working with Your Partner
Talk to your partner about the issue.If you’re having an issue with your sex drive and are in a relationship, let your partner know about it. Tension and stress about your differing drives can make the problem worse, but talking to your partner can ease these problems.
- Try raising the topic by saying something like: "Look, I want you to know that I haven't been distant because I don't find you attractive. I think it's just that all this stress from work has been dragging me down, but I'm trying to manage that now."
- If you feel like relationship troubles are affecting your sex drive, start with couples therapy instead of bringing up the topic directly with your partner.
Work with a counselor.Look for a counselor that specializes in couples therapy. If talking with your partner about your sex drive feels difficult, a counselor can help you develop specific techniques for communicating openly and sensitively to help solve or overcome the problem.
Find time to be together.Even if it feels artificial, try planning to be with your partner at a time that works for both of you. Feeling like you’re rushed or that your schedule doesn’t allow you to have time to be with your partner might increase stress and difficulties with sex drive. But if you devote time to just being together, your interest may increase.
- Time together doesn’t have to be (or exclusively be) about sex. In fact, spending time doing non-sexual activities with your partner can positively impact your sex drive. Trying going out on dates, playing games or sports, watching movies, or any other activities you enjoy doing together.
- Talk to your doctor before making any major changes to your diet or exercise regimen to make sure your plan is safe for your health.
- Carefully follow all dosing recommendations for herbal supplements.
- Even herbal supplements might interact with medications you are currently taking, and cause complications. Talk to your doctor before taking any supplements, and ask about potential interactions.
Video: How to deal with low libido - Dealing with a loss of sex drive
17 Tactics to Drastically Improve Communication in Relationships
3 Ways to Recycle
Learn When to Cut Ties
10 Healthy-Food Facts All Foodies Should Know
Do You Make Time for Heart Health
Fashion Designer Hotels
Best face wash for oily skin in men
Here’s What Happened at Kanye’s Yeezy Season3
Glimepiride Rosiglitazone Reviews
12 Things Women With Great Hair Do Every Day
Four Accessories Every Woman Should Own
Dsquared Spring – Summer 2015, Milan show
What 20 Child Stars Look Like, Then Now
Tips to get rid of prickly heat overnight – Top foods to eat for reducing prickly heat