/ Views: 73142

How to treat pet poisoning?

Pets bring a bit of happiness into our life. They are carefree and cheerful, funny and energetic, and always faithful to those who love them. But by virtue of their curiosity, these four-legged friends sometimes allow themselves to disobey their master, and pick up the tidbit that interests them from the ground. Such errors are often caused by poisoning, which require immediate treatment. How to behave in such cases, and how to help your pet, we will tell further.

Dangerous walks

It is worth noting that the risk of poisoning increases dramatically in the warm season, when pets strive to steal something from a nearby trash can. But owners of dogs should be especially attentive even in places familiar to walking. Dog hunters who hunt not only the homeless, but also the host animals, specially lay out pieces of food with poison.

But these are not the only ways poisons and toxins enter the body of pets. They can get poisoned:

  • licking off toxic substances from wool (chemical compounds, flea products);
  • by eating stale food or food, which somehow got household chemicals;
  • eating a poisonous plant;
  • being in a room with dangerous vapors (smoke, gas).

To understand that your pet is poisoned, you do not need to have a veterinary education, it is enough to pay attention to the first signs indicating the problem:

  1. Vomiting - one of the main symptoms, which is a kind of defensive reaction, through which the body tries to get rid of toxins. Most often it is multiple. Noticing vomiting, you should immediately call a doctor, and before his arrival pay attention to the color, smell and the presence of impurities in the masses.
  2. Diarrhea. It appears, as a rule, a few hours later.
  3. Severe salivation and general weakness. The pet can be hid in a corner and not go out for several hours in a row. And when trying to do this, the paws can become deformed and the coordination of movements can be disturbed.
  4. Difficult breathing, shortness of breath and change of pupils (they can be, as too expanded, and very narrowed).

If there are obvious signs of poisoning, you should definitely seek help from a veterinarian, while at the same time trying to figure out the possible ways in which the poison can enter and its type. This will help to make the diagnosis as accurately as possible and find the right treatment.

How can you help yourself?

Despite the fact that many veterinary clinics work around the clock, sometimes the ability to deliver a dog or other pet to the doctor right away is not possible.

In this case, it is necessary to provide first aid, which is aimed at detoxifying the body. The same measures will not be superfluous before visiting the doctor.

  1. Prevent poison from entering the body. If these are chemicals that the pet could lick off the coat, then it is necessary to wash the substance with cool water and soap, and in order to protect yourself and your pet as much as possible, cut off the affected areas of wool.
  2. Caught poison in the stomach to withdraw. To do this, induce vomiting. The simplest folk remedy that is always at hand is salt. Prepare a solution based on the rate of 1 tsp. to 500 ml of water. For the same purpose, a weak solution of potassium permanganate can also be used. A cleansing enema will also be effective in this case.

But there are contraindications. Do not induce vomiting in fainting, convulsions, poisoning with alkaline substances.

  1. If after the ingestion of the toxin into the body several hours have passed, you can give the dog or cat activated carbon.It will help to neutralize some of the toxic substances that had time to digest before causing vomiting. Pharmaceutical Enterol has the same properties.
  2. In the case of a long stay in a smoke-filled or gas-filled room, you must immediately remove the animal to fresh air, and then wash your face with plenty of running water and rinse your mouth with a solution of baking soda.

If you do not know exactly what specifically caused such a condition in your pet, it is better to refuse any pills and other pharmaceuticals. It is also forbidden to give milk. In the case of alkali, it really helps, but in many others, on the contrary, will contribute to the further penetration of the poison.

How does further treatment occur? In the veterinary clinic most often prescribed diuretics for the early elimination of poison, prescribe supportive therapy for the proper functioning of the liver, heart and respiratory system. In the case of intoxication after food poisoning, antibiotics will be needed.

Day after the incident, the pet does not feed, and give a lot to drink. On the second day, you can start giving easily digestible products (kefir, yogurt, cottage cheese, porridge).The doctor will tell you what to do after treatment. You may need a course of vitamins or a special diet.

So that your cat or dog does not have such problems, watch your pet for a walk, and also be attentive to all uncharacteristic symptoms. Love your pets!

loading ...
[/L_REPEAT]

Related news


How to install the front door with your own hands
Cereal jar decoration
What fantasy TV series to watch
FAQ
Paper Swan Box
What to do if you drank