SAS Walking and Comfort Shoe Review
SAS Shoes have been a favorite of volkssport walkers since the 1980's. These are very well cushioned and flexible. They were my personal favorite when I had a stand-up job. They were the only shoes I could wear without having foot pain at the end of the day. However, I didn't use them for fitness walking. The drawbacks for me were the lacing system, which does not give a good custom fit, and the full leather uppers keep my feet too hot.
Where to Find SAS Shoes
You can obtain a and a catalog of styles from the SAS Shoemakers web site. SAS encourages you to call, fax, or mail them for information. Their phone number is 877-782-7463. You can also fill out a form to have a catalog and local retailer list emailed to you.
SAS has factory outlet stores at many outlet malls throughout the USA.
SAS Free Time Women's Walking Shoe
SAS Free Time are a full leather shoe available in widths and either black or taupe. They are well-cushioned and perform very well as a comfort shoe or work shoe for those who do a lot of standing and walking. As a fitness walking shoe, they have a good profile with a low heel, flexibility, and cushioning. Many long time walkers swear by these shoes.
Best Features of the SAS Free Time
- Widths: Slim, Narrow, Medium, Wide, Wide/Wide. WWW width available in black.
- Sizes: 6-12 for slim and narrow, 4-12 for medium, 5-12 for wide and wide/wide.
- Cushioning: I rate this shoe tops for cushioning for standing and slow walking, such as when touring or shopping.
- Toe Box: SAS walking shoes have added depth in the forefoot with lots of toe room. The rounded toe box gives excellent wiggle room for toes.
- Insole: Removable insole, you can replace it with your own choice or an orthotic.
- Colors: Suitable for wearing with slacks: white, bone, mocha, teak, navy, black, and also two Nubuck styles in taupe and charcoal.
Room for Improvement
- Soles Too Smooth: The soles are pebbled but not ridged like exercise shoes. Several SAS wearers complained of slipping with them.
- Hot Feet: The shoes are not very breathable and many walkers experience hot feet with them. Sweaty feet lead to more blisters.
- Lacing System: The lacing system is fine for comfort shoes, but it is inadequate to getting a good fit when you are using them as fitness walking shoes.
SAS Time Out Men's Walking Shoe
The men's SAS Time Out shoes are favored by many walkers. For many long-time wearers, they are the only walking shoe they ever want. They have the same features as the women's Free Time, and the same drawbacks.
A complaint by more than one wearer is that the sole is too smooth and lacks traction ridges, which increases risks of slips vs. a running shoe or fitness walking shoe.
- Colors: The SAS Time Out comes in white, bone, antique walnut, and black.
- Widths: Available widths are Slim, Narrow, Medium, Wide, Wide/Wide. WWW width available in black.
- Sizes: 8-15 for slim, 7-15 for narrow, 6-15 for medium, wide and wide/wide.
Comfort Shoes from SAS
SAS 'Bout Time Men's Comfort Shoe
The SAS 'Bout Time is more of a comfort shoe than an exercise walking shoe. The lacing system is shorter, although it retains the same cushioning and flexibility as the Time Out. This shoe is an excellent choice for those who do a lot of standing and slow walking on the job.
I have had one reader complaint that the shoe stretched out too much soon after purchase and so he did not get a good fit with it.
SAS Take Time Women's Comfort Shoe
The Take Time for women is similar to the men's 'Bout Time. It has a shorter lacing system than the Free Time, so is less suited to exercise walking. But it has the same fantastic cushioning and flexibility, making it an excellent choice for those who do a lot of standing and walking on the job, or when traveling or shopping.
At Verywell Fit, our Expert writers are committed to researching and writing thoughtful and editorially independent reviews of the best products for your life and your family. If you like what we do, you can support us through our chosen links, which earn us a commission.
Video: SAS Journey SKU:8867820
How to Adopt a Dog from a Breed Rescue
Nutrition Facts of Ground Beef
The Key to Native American Diabetes Rates Fossilized Feces
How to Build a Bird Bath
Can I Shrink My Pores
Genetic test may predict how long you live
How to Manage Your Watchlist on IMDb
How to Write a Personal Mission Statement to Ensure Peak Productivity
The Kardashians Break Their Silence on Kim: She’s Not Doing ThatWell’
Between Sets: My Strength Sport Primer
See an exclusive catwalk show at Westfield
Pot Smokers May Face 5 Times Greater Risk of Alcohol Abuse
Preventions Cleanest Packaged Food Awards 2019: Pantry Items